Investigating the rates and impacts of near misses and related incidents among UK cyclists:
- Fear of injury is a barrier to cycling and experiencing non-injury incidents (near misses) may contribute to this.
- UK cyclists experience very high rates of non-injury incidents, by comparison with any reported injury rates.
- The most frightening incidents involve moving motor vehicles, particularly larger vehicles.
- Problematic passing manoeuvres are especially frequent and frightening.
- Higher rates are experienced in the morning peak and by slower cyclists.